GSE Steel Technical features
The GSE Steel application allows to verify and optimize steel members with standard sections and non-standard sections according to the:
American AISC 360 (LRFD and ASD)
Canadian CSA S16
European Eurocode 3 and 4
Indian IS 800
• Design of steel sections or composite steel-concrete sections.
• Standard CISC, AISC, European, Russian and Indian sections or parametric section shapes (over 40 shapes available).
• All parameters required to calculate the resistance of the elements such as unbraced length, buckling lengths, buckling factors and others can be customized either graphically or from spreadsheets.
• Several design parameters can also be calculated by the program.
• Singly symmetric, asymmetric and built-up section shapes are covered for all design codes.
• Limit states (unity checks) can be displayed graphically on the 3D model by means of colors or numerically in spreadsheets and reports.
• All intermediate results required to verify the calculations are provided in spreadsheets.
• Comprehensive library of standard steel grades.
• Steel verification includes sections classification, resistance and stability checks according to the applicable standard.
• Calculation of the bending, compression, tension, shear, torsion/warping and combined resistance of steel and composite elements based on the results of a linear, P-Delta, non-linear, seismic or dynamic analysis. The program also verifies web yielding and web crippling at supports.
• The design of composite beams accounts for long term deflections, partial composite action, plain slab or slab cast on standard or user defined steel decks and user defined studs.
• The slab reinforcement can be considered in the calculation of the element resistance.
• It is possible to consider the analysis of composite beams with the full composite inertia or the effective inertia in positive moment regions or the steel beam inertia in negative moment regions.
• Complete check of deflection according to a comprehensive set of criterions.
Cold Formed Steel Design
Cold formed steel design
The GSE STEEL application enables structural steel designers to design cold-formed steel members based on the North American specification for the design of cold-formed steel structural members covering Canada (CSA S136-16), the United States and Mexico (AISI S100-16).
Cold-formed steel sections can be mixed with regular steel shapes in a model allowing to design hybrid structures.
Supported section shapes:
•60° and 90° angles and 90° angles with lips
•Channel with or without lips
•Z sections with or without lips
•U (Hat) sections
Performed design checks:
•Tension resistance (Chapter D)
•Compression resistance including distortional buckling (Chapter E)
•Bending resistance including distortional buckling (Chapter F)
•Shear resistance (Chapter G)
•Combined forces (Chapter H)
•Web yielding and web crippling at supports (Chapter G)
When required by the steel design standard, slender sections of regular shapes are also calculated using CSA S136-16 or AISI S100-16. The program covers all standard shapes as well as parametric shapes.
Steel Calculator™ included
Receive the Steel Calculator™ for free when purchasing a GSE Steel license.
The Steel Calculator™ allows to quickly verify, design and optimize steel beams and columns. It is also an efficient validation tool to verify design results of specific elements of complex models. Design optimization and automatic section selection features make economic and quality steel structures a reality.